Improving HAE Patient Care through an Interactive Patient Simulation Platform
The goal of this activity is to increase the awareness as well as the understanding of hereditary angioedema by having the clinician virtually manage a patient with undiagnosed HAE:
1) who presents to the emergency department with an acute facial swelling, and
2) in the follow-up of the patient once discharged from the hospital.
The Body Interact platform is an extremely realistic and completely adaptive and dynamic, hands-on, immersive, desktop and iPad experience that provides medical and nursing professionals a collaborative, life-like platform. Using this model in clinical teaching accelerates critical thinking, under-pressure clinical decision-making, and optimal treatment decisions according to recognized guidelines and best practices in dynamic and challenging cases.
The technology provides problem-based learning in real world contexts, enabling a flexible design of simulation case studies and new dimensions that deliver powerful results to self-directed and collaborative team learning, improving:
- Patient-centered care
- Interdisciplinary approach and prevention perspective
- Complex problem solving or boarder line situations
- Self-directed learning
- Diagnose, monitor and react to complications, unexpected events and relapses
- Simulation of the progress of long-term illness
- Test abilities against established best practices
- Discuss optimal treatment options for specific clinical situations
Through a continued development of Outpatient, Pre-Hospital, Emergency Room and other hospital based settings, Body Interact enables learners to experience a complete patient journey approach and a diversity of clinical scenarios, providing the rights tools to effectively educate an extensive and worldwide medical community through daily life clinical contexts. Body Interact technology has been adopted by several medical and nursing societies and has been used in numerous continuing education projects, including projects receiving grants from commercial supporters.